Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Road Trip



We have just returned from our ten day road trip to San Diego via Arizona. Both places were fantastic and a welcome change from the cooler temperatures of Montana. In Arizona we were able to continue our walking schedule with our friends and family, all of whom enjoyed Sampsons company, and even my moms dogs got used to sharing their space with him. The same cannot be said for my moms cat! [She opted to stay in the garage the whole time we were there].

In San Diego Sampson did a little swimming, but only on the Bay side so that he wouldn't get any water in his ear. My best friend Audra went with us and she was able to hang out on the beach with Sampson while I was in class.



The cottage I rented was perfect for all of us. It had a fenced yard, outdoor patio set and beautiful lawn, garden area. We were able to do our early morning walks on the beach and the rest of the time the three of us just hang out in our little oasis by the sea.

Sampson is a great traveler! Even Audra commented on how easy going he was. He had the whole back area of the car complete with doggie beds, pillows and his favorite sleeping bag, so he wasn't exactly roughing it. The weather was perfect for the road trip, rolled down the windows and let the breeze blow through the car. He
was only a little scrunched during the 20 minute drive after I stopped at Trader Joes for my summer provisioning! We have no Trader Joes up here, so it was an added bonus to the trip.

After we got home he was beyond excited to see Andy and the two little dogs. After a quick walk everyone seemed to fall right back into the normal rhythm of things. The day after we were home Sampson had a little flare up in his ear, so I am continuing with the medication until we see Dr. Lawson tomorrow. As for the leg, he has been strictly on leash only for all activities outside the house. Even when he went in the bay I held his leash, so we have stringently followed the Dr.'s orders there. His walking stride is looking really good. The hardest thing at this point, is his desire to really run after anything. During our short visit in AZ he was faced with rabbits, ground squirrels, lizards and quail all within the first 100 yards of walking out of my moms front door. Even though he was really tempted, he did great and just kept walking and sniffing all the new smells.

Tomorrow is our big six week check up. This is the scariest part for me. During the surgery on the other leg two years ago, it was at this point where I was able to see that recovery was not going as hoped. We have kept him off the stairs and when going in and out of the car, I physically lift him or use the towel so that there is no strain or pressure on that knee! For our living/sleeping conditions I am still sleeping on the couch next to his bed and after six weeks it has just become "normal". I am keeping my fingers crossed and know that we have done all that is possible for him to recover.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck at your 6 wk follow up.

    Tashi had her surgery "re-done" on 5/13, and she is very tentative to place weight on the leg ;-(.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete