Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Days 5 - 6


Day 5 - I had some hesitation in using the extra medication for Sampson, but after dinner he once again began his pacing and appeared to be struggling to find a comfortable position in which to lay down. I waited until bed time and gave him the extra medication and I was so glad I did. I fell asleep with him on one of the dog beds while massaging his back and the sound of his gentle snoring lulled me and the other dogs into a deep sleep. He only stirred twice that night, needing to go out to the bathroom, and sniff around in the snow a bit, but other than that he came back in and cozied up next to the couch so we were able to get a fairly peaceful nights sleep.


The next morning he woke up a little sore, but within a few steps was putting full weight on the bad leg and during his short morning walk he actually stood on the bad leg while he relieved himself. He is slowly getting back to the same old Sampson, just not liking the baby gates at every turn blocking him from going up and down the stairs.

His brothers are patient enough, but overall it is a bit of a juggling act getting everyone exercised without too much excitement.

Day 6 - It continues to snow and while it makes great sleeping conditions when Sampson is inside, he is one of those dogs that LOVES the snow! Loves to run in it, play in it, and throw it up in the air and catch it. So today was a little challenging on our walks to hinder the puppy play. The thing I remember from days 5 - 6 on the surgeries with his other leg, was that the incision appears to be tearing when it is actually healing. It is hard to look at because it looks so painful, but after speaking with my vet, I am confident that this is a sign of healing. I am continuing to saturate a small cloth with the bitter apple spray and it is really helping to quell his urge to lick at the wound. We have had a good day and look forward to another [fingers crossed] quiet night.

No comments:

Post a Comment