Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What a difference a day makes


I am amazed at how quickly Sampsons ear lost the redness and the obvious appearance of the bacteria. Over the weekend I was able to apply the drops three times a day, and it was only on the first day that the application of the drops seemed to bother him. After that he mostly became excited when he saw me reaching for the medication, knowing that cookies would appear soon after. Dr. Lawson showed me how to apply the drops at the outer edge of the ear and then massage them gently into the rest of the ear. He loves those massages! So, another two plus weeks of the drops and his ear should be back to normal.

As the knee recovers, so does his energy level and his desire to test the boundaries is becoming more evident every day. I see him pass by the stair case slowly and with some consideration.... the same way I pass by a plate of doughnuts... [how bad would it really be?]. Today while I was doing some much needed vacuuming I looked over and caught him in the act of trying to move the doggie gate with his nose. I stopped the vacuum and clapped my hands loudly, and he jumped like a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar!
We have been able to get in a couple of walks today in between rain squalls, but as the rain drizzles in he is once again content by putting some of that pent up energy towards gnawing away on a large marrow bone. For now the living room has become Sampsons personal bone yard.

His walking stride is looking every bit normal. If you didn't see the incision mark and the shaved leg, it would be hard to determine which knee had the surgery. Every now and then he wants to leap ahead and jump a bit, but he is getting better at listening to my commands, and will stop with a little tug and a loud NO.

We are on a good path and know that if we are patient and stick with the program, he will be cruising around on his own by the end of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment